April 26, 2012

Need all the help I can get!


So a few weeks back, my darling husband meant well and snuck a creepy fertility statue next to my bed while I was asleep! The problem was, I awoke in the middle of the night, dazed and confused, and as my eyes tried to adjust to the dim light this creepy statue came into view... my heart and mind raced trying to figure it out what was staring at me... it was horror movie moment scary!
I was so freaked out, that instead of screaming, I actually started crying... he did apologies profusely and I guess he was only trying to help.
That creepy clay statue has been banished to the garage, so the other day we were passing a fair trade shop, and decided a replacement was a good idea.
This is an Ndebele Fertility doll, handmade in South Africa by women of the Ndebele tribe. The doll is made (in secret) for the bride by the maternal grandmother and is ritually presented to her when she enters her new hut after the wedding ceremony. According to custom, after the birth of their third child, the fertility doll must be given away, because it is considered unlucky to keep it anymore.
So when our family is complete, I will pass her on...

No comments:

Post a Comment